Hugh Edmond MBE
Hugh Edmond is a founder member and Treasurer of Fintry Museum Society, and the Fintry Museum is named the Edmond Gallery in tribute to him.
Hugh has been a Fintry lad all his days and is the last in his family still living here after over 500 years of a continuous Fintry family line. There is no other known Fintronian, present nor ever in the past, who can make the same claim.
Home and School
Hugh was born at Balafark farm, Fintry in 1938 as were his father and his grandfather before him. His great grandfather was born in Wester Balgair and moved to Balafark in 1813 with his father and the rest of the family. At the age of three he lived in Craigton Cottage without electricity but the luxury of two toilets! He attended Stewart School Fintry and then Balfron Primary and High School, where for three years in a row, he took the Campbell Prize for Maths and Science.
He graduated with a National Diploma in Agriculture and also additional diplomas in Dairying and Farm Accountancy. He joined the Potato Marketing Board and rose to become Divisional Manager for Scotland and Northern England. In 1999 he was awarded the MBE for his services to the industry.
Hugh has been the Grand Superintendent for Stirling and Clackmannan for the Supreme Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland. He has been a delegate representing the Supreme Grand Royal Arch of Scotland and made over 40 visits to countries all over the globe.