1922 Auction of Fintry Farms
Over 6,000 Acres
Over hundreds of years, whoever was the Laird of Culcreuch was also owner and landlord of a large swathe of farms in the Endrick valley. On 19th October 1922 it was all auctioned off in The Albert Hall, Stirling, following the death of Sir Walter Menzies MP.
Thirteen farms were listed in addition to the main estate, along with woodlands and plantations, the Dowager House of Culcreuch, thirteen tenement properties in Newtown and Fintry as well as fifteen leasehold properties and ten feu duties.
The Castle's Buildings
“Garage to hold 3 Cars, Stabling for 6 Horses, Harness Room, Accumulator House, Game Larder, Bothy, Boiler House,Turbine House, Saw Mill, Creosoting Tank, Joiner’s and Painter’s Shops, Granary and Threshing Mill, Hay Loft, Byre for 6 Cows, Cart Shed, further garage for 2 Cars. Two Entrance Lodges and Gardener’s Cottage.”
The estate was described in 1922 as having “capital mixed shooting including Grouse, Blackgame, Partridges, Snipe, Woodcock, Wild Pheasants, occasional Roe Deer, Hares and a large number of Rabbits. Very little has been shot since 1914.” Fishing in the Endrick was listed as “Sea Trout, usually from 2 – 2.5 lbs, Salmon and Brown Trout. Salmon of over 10 lbs have been taken.”
|Jaw Farm and Shootings||1561||£373|
|Mains of Glins||506||£173|
|Craigend and Dalhilloch||548||£224|
|Overglinns and Airthrie||109||£76|
|Old Smithy||0.38||10 shillings|